Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December, 2010

Yeah, sorry I missed November. I kept delaying sending out the November installment in the thought that we would shortly be having an announcement about where and when the 2011 Reunion would be, but that didn’t happen. Turns out it’s not easy to pick a venue like this. We need a place that has pretty good food, for not much money, that can handle a big crowd, during the summer dates that we prefer. The folks that are helping with the planning are narrowing in, though, and I’ll let you know as soon as it’s decided.

So, November. I had a lot to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. Mainly that the election was over and I didn’t have to see any more commercials screaming at me that everyone I ever voted for is a satanic pedophile. Say what you want against ruthless dictatorships, but at least they don’t have political attack ads on TV. I also got to have both my kids home for 4 days, which hadn’t happened since the summer. In fact, I hadn’t seen James since I dropped him off at BU in August. He’s becoming more independent, which is one of those things that means we’re doing okay as parents but that still hurt. Bittersweet, that’s the word: I’m glad he’s doing well, but not so glad I’m losing my little boy. Does that make sense? We did get to spend some quality time together, which for us means him coaching me through level 16 of Portal on the Xbox.

I think taking the month off spurred y’all to contact our missing classmates. Our count of alums that we think we know the whereabouts of zoomed up to 514, a new record! Great job! A special thanks to Gene Blair, who seems to send a new name every month. Please forward any contact information you have to me.

Condolences to Franne Donovan, whose older brother died suddenly in October. Father James W. Donovan was a beloved priest in Chinatown, San Francisco.

Condolences to Bettilou Manieri LaRoche, whose father, Vincent Manieri, died in October. Bettilou also reports that her daughter is in her last year of fashion design school in Boston. “She enjoys the artistic creativity and has also landed an internship with a fashion designer in Providence.”

Got a nice email from Monika Szynkarski Curnett and Nancy Goldis Iacono during their recent vacation to the Middle East, including Israel, Jordan, and Egypt. Still waiting to see the photos.

Cheryl Brodeur Combs is contemplating retirement after her job goes away with the U.S. Army at Fort McPherson. “My daughter Desiree wants me to retire, of course, since she has 3 small children (10, 7, and 6) and I can be a help to her.” Any advice for Sherry?

As mentioned last newsletter, George Alford and his wife Linda have small roles in a locally produced movie, "Gotta Find Barry." Produced by Rich Camp and Joe Agresti, both of Cranston, the movie had its premiere at the Park Cinema, which seems appropriate. We’ll be watching for the Oscar nominations.

Bill Dube, who regales us regularly with the exploits of his electric motorcycle, has come across the interesting and strange fact that electric racing in this country started in Cranston in 1896, at the Narragansett Trotting Park. Cue the Twilight Zone music.

Thanks to the folks who are helping to plan the Reunion in 2011: Pat Giarrusso, Susan W. Bond Burns, Cosima Fallon, Beverly DeFelice, Juliana Pastine Reilly, Ernie Rheaume, Don and Tina McKendall, Dan Barry, Pat Dewey Giarrusso, Donna Lepizzera Caldamone, Gail Cavanaugh Santosuosso, Domenic D'Antuono, Diane Fusco McWeeney, Lynne Turkus, and Franne Donovan. Let me know if you want to help out in some way.

We have lots of ways to keep in touch online, now. For example, we have a web site:
www.chse1971.com
(thanks to Ernie Sutcliffe for starting and maintaining)
and wiki:
https://chse1971.wikispaces.com/
(also thanks to Ernie)
and Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/group.php?gid=51722469479
Check out one or more of these easy ways to see what people are up to.

That’s about it for now. Drop me a line sometime and let me know what you’re up to.

Happy Chanukah! Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

Ed DeJesus
exdejesus@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment