Wednesday, February 19, 2014

2014 February

I don’t know why it takes me so long to get these updates out each month. They have a similar pattern every time: a witty and insightful opening, review of the numbers, whatever news classmates have seen fit to forward to me, an appeal for contact information, and a graceful exit into the wings. I don’t know what the holdup is, but this month I’m going to blame snow.
Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow! Mind you, there’s a lot I like about snow. I like watching it come down, so quiet and graceful. I like how pretty it makes everything look, hiding all the ordinary crud. I like how it sparkles in the sunlight. But this year, it’s all just been too much. Every time it snows, all I think is, Here are another couple of hours I need to spend clearing the steps and driveway, plus all the extra time commuting. And I’m not even getting the skiing enjoyment I used to get. It seems like whenever there’s snow on the ground, it’s way too cold for skiing to be enjoyable, and whenever it’s warm enough to ski without turning into a popsicle, the snow is gone – or I’m at work.
Yeah, snow. That’s the problem. This month.


Our numbers continue at the same plateau. We think we have contact info on 672 classmates. As always, if you come up with any new email addresses for classmates, please let me know.


Condolences to classmate Marianne Votta, whose father died recently. Here’s the obituary:


Congratulations to classmate Candy (Williams) Gauvin, whose mother recently celebrated her 105th birthday. Candy says, “Mom is finishing her 2nd book that she has written about the Roger Williams family, our ancestor. The 1st one she wrote was when she was 94!” Here’s the story from the Cranston Herald:
I’m envious of Candy’s genes.


Classmate Kevin Dailey wrote to share his retirement experiences: “Do not recall if I have mentioned this but I have just recently retired. December 03 was my final day. I survived 39 years of government service. Some of my time was with the US Air Force, but the bulk of those 39 years were as a canine handler at Logan Airport. Retired as a GS12 with the Bureau of Customs Border Protection.
Looking forward to summer and doing what I enjoy the most - FISHING! I plan to stick around here. Currently I reside in Beverly, MA, which is a small city north of Boston. Prime striped bass fishing territory.
Just recently picked up a new hobby: I am learning the art of fly tying. The local Orvis dealer, fly tying instructor, claims that once I get rolling it will become an obsession. I will be taking his Saturday morning fly tying lessons until I have mastered same.”
Enjoy!


Classmate Dave Fowler is once again running the Boston Marathon as a fundraising event for the charitable organization he started in his son’s memory. Dave says, “Hi Gang! Well, it’s another year and I haven’t gotten any wiser, so I’ll be running Boston again. After the bombings last year, I’m excited to be able to run this year to support some of the victims. You can read about it at http://speakerscorner-dave.blogspot.com/.
Help in the Nick of Time now has a Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HelpInTheNickOfTime. If you are a Facebook user please take a look and “like” us.
I also want to put in a personal appeal for anyone who can help with donations to Help in the Nick of Time. As I mentioned earlier, this year’s effort will help some of the victim’s families. You can make donations at:
Simply click on this link, scroll down till you see the section for donations and where it says APPLY MY GIFT TO: , click on the arrow next to the field and select Help in the Nick of Time.
Thanks again for all your support.”
Good luck to Dave! His blog is always worth reading.
Personal aside: I’ve never been involved with the Marathon before, but after last year I intend to help out wherever I can: passing out water or just plain applauding the runners.


Classmate Ernie Rheaume shares his experience of holidays in an empty-nest home:
“Our son (Ernie) lives in Colorado, our oldest daughter (Nicole), who got married last year, lives in Massachusetts, and our youngest daughter (Christina) currently lives in Gijón, Spain.
For Thanksgiving this year, Jeanne and I were going to be alone for the first time. We were invited to dine with Nikki’s in-laws. It was very nice, but it wasn’t the same.
For Christmas, it was more of the same. Nikki and Chrissy were with us on Christmas Eve. Nikki went home around 9 PM as she and her husband Ben were flying out of Logan at 6 AM Christmas Morning to go to Baltimore to spend some time with more members of his family. Ernie was in Rochester, NY, staying with his future in-laws. Christmas morning, it was just Jeanne, Chrissy and me. We spent the day at my brother’s house.
We finally had our Christmas on December 29th. All 3 children (as well as a husband and a fiancée) were finally together at our house where we exchanged gifts and had a nice dinner.
Eventually, we will probably be spending more Christmases away from our home. However, as long as we all can still get together somewhere, it will be great.”
I think a lot of us can relate to how complicated it can get.


We have lots of ways to keep in touch online, now. For example, we have a web site:
(thanks to Ernie Sutcliffe for starting and maintaining)
and Facebook group:
and a Facebook event for the last Reunion:
and for the recent Birthday Party:
Check out one or more of these easy ways to see what people are up to.
And, by the way, I post these updates online at http://chse1971.blogspot.com/.


Well, that’s it for me. With football over, and the Celtics and Bruins not really doing it for me, I’m really looking forward to baseball season. And the end of all this snow.

Later,
Ed DeJesus



No comments:

Post a Comment