Friday, August 10, 2012

2012 August


This year, we tried a different kind of vacation: camping, in tents, at a state park on Cape Cod. Like all vacations, this one had its Pros and Cons:
·        Pro: I’m nervous about driving on big bridges, so this was a good chance to practice.
·        Con: Me and the Sagamore are never going to be buddies.
·        Pro: The woods at Nickerson State Park in Brewster are beautiful, quiet, and just smell wonderful.
·        Con: When mosquitoes see me coming, they get out the special sauce.
·        Pro: No alarm clock…
·        Con: … or electricity or running water …
·        Pro: The weather was ten degrees cooler than Norwood, with no humidity.
·        Con: Sleeping in a puddle after a night rainstorm is not fun.
·        Pro: Long, beautiful beaches.
·        Con: Long, ugly traffic jams.
·        Pro: Fantastic restaurants!
·        Con: Awful restaurants!
·        Pro: A week without having to get up at 5:30 to go to work.
·        Con: Only a week…

So, let’s hear what your vacations are like!

The numbers didn’t budge last month: we still believe we know the whereabouts of 692 classmates. Not bad after 40 years!

Condolences to classmate Debi Zannella Iacono, whose father died in July.

Sherry Brodeur Combs shares her own experience with retirement: “Retirement? Let’s see. I am a “baby” retiree, just 1 year ago, 30 Jul. At first, I didn’t know what to expect. After working 26 years for the U.S. Army, as a Department of the Army civilian (DAC), I retired. As I got closer to the retirement date, maybe a month out, I applied and got accepted for a position as a Legal Secretary, for the District Attorney’s Office. I work every other week. I am totally enjoying it! On my “off” week, I do what I enjoy doing. Also, I have never had a summer off in 26 years, so this is so different, yet enjoyable. I’m still in the business world learning new things way different from the military. However, I am enjoying my new-found life.”

Who else has some retirement observations, experience, or advice for the rest of us?

Candace Williams Gauvin is proud of her daughter-in-law, who recently passed her State Boards in Colorado. She has completed her education at Bel-Rea College there to become a Veterinary Assistant. “Now she can work at any vet who wants her!”

Also heard from Linda Gronneberg Gaulin, who I was in the 7-Ls with, lo these many years ago. Linda teaches elementary school, and is enjoying her summer break from teaching and catching up on household projects. She and her husband are grandparents, and so spend a lot of time babysitting! They have 2 grandsons, and 1 granddaughter. “We have been truly blessed. Take care, and enjoy the rest of your summer!”

We have lots of ways to keep in touch online, now. For example, we have a web site:
www.chse1971.com
(thanks to Ernie Sutcliffe for starting and maintaining)
and wiki:
https://chse1971.wikispaces.com/
(also thanks to Ernie)
and Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/group.php?gid=51722469479
and a Facebook event for the last Reunion:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=192240297471327
Check out one or more of these easy ways to see what people are up to.
And, by the way, I post these updates online at http://chse1971.blogspot.com/.

That’s about it for me. Thank heavens the Patriots season is starting, and I don’t have to pay attention to the Fenway Horror anymore.

Ed DeJesus
exdejesus@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about bridges Ed. They wait until you're at the very top to collapse.

    The humor in anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you enjoyed your vacation, Ed. Mine will not be until November-hope to go to Bath, NC. But for one night, Roger and I are going to Yadkin Valley Zip Line for some moonlight, 70ft up, excitement! By the way, for at least 10yrs we did the camping thing with no electric, sleeping in water [or snow]; next time it has to be a hard sided camper! or I'll just stay home.

    ReplyDelete