Wednesday, January 9, 2013

2013 January


For a number of years during my career, I’ve worked as a consultant or contractor, meaning hourly pay, no benefits, and no paid vacation. That’s why it’s so wonderful to be an employee again, with actual paid holidays and actual paid vacation. The ability to take time off work without impoverishing my family is fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed taking some time between Christmas and New Year’s.
Not that I did anything special. Oh, I had a list of fun things to do during my time off. Saw some movies. Hosted a game night with some friends. Went to some parties. But a nasty cold put me in bed for a few days. Maybe you’ve had the same experience I do: you kind of mentally keep yourself going for work and obligations and holidays and special events, but when those things are done: crash! Something inside of you says, “That’s it. The important stuff is done. Time to shut down for a while.”
Then again, maybe sleeping was the best way to spend my time. On work days, I’m up by 5:30 every morning. The luxury of sleeping until 8 or 9 was nice. Sometimes the best thing you can do is not to do anything.


Some new people may be reading this month’s update. Due to an error on my part that I can’t even explain, I don’t think I’ve been using the right email addresses for some people. Hopefully, that has changed. Welcome to the party!


Our numbers haven’t actually changed, although I’ve gotten some better information on some people, thanks to straightening out those email addresses. We still believe we know the whereabouts of about 699 of our classmates. Not bad after 40 years! If you’re in touch with any classmates, please pass along their contact information. Every bit helps.


Condolences to Catherine Iaciofano Joseph, whose father died in December.
Details are here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/providence/obituary.aspx?n=pasco-iaciofano&pid=161644083


Condolences also to David Fowler, whose mother died in December.
Details are here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/providence/obituary-preview.aspx?n=grace-fowler&pid=161550340


Condolences also to Robert Avakian, whose father died in December.
Details are here: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/providence/obituary.aspx?n=robert-avakian&pid=161850228


Joe Ricci has an update on his daughter, Elizabeth. She is now the Operations Manager at the Havre de Grace Maritime Museum in Maryland. “She loves what she is doing and they love her. In a very short time, she has straightened out a lot of issues they had and streamlined their processes and they feel she is a godsend.”
Here’s a link:


We are working on plans for a massive birthday party for all of us, probably this summer. I’ll let you know details as soon as they’re settled.


We have lots of ways to keep in touch online, now. For example, we have a web site:
www.chse1971.com
(thanks to Ernie Sutcliffe for starting and maintaining)
and wiki:
https://chse1971.wikispaces.com/
(also thanks to Ernie)
and Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/group.php?gid=51722469479
and a Facebook event for the last Reunion:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=192240297471327
Check out one or more of these easy ways to see what people are up to.
And, by the way, I post these updates online at http://chse1971.blogspot.com/.


Waiting to see how far into the post-season the Patriots get. It’s been a weird season, with them having a lot of trouble with teams whose mascots are birds. ;)


Until next time, enjoy!

Ed DeJesus


No comments:

Post a Comment